The 333-slide report underlines the most important statistics and technology trends on the internet. Some highlights from this year’s report are:
- More than half of the human population is online, Meeker said on stage at Recode.
- Public and private investments into tech companies are at a two-decade high, nearing $200 billion last year.
- Wearable technology is booming, and users have doubled in the past four years.
- E-commerce and ride-share driven digital payments are rising.
- Image-based communication like Instagram is on the rise. YouTube and Instagram are gaining the most for time spent on online platforms.
- Interactive games like Fortnite are gaining ground. Total players have accelerated at 2.4 billion, up 6% this year.
- Media time spent on mobile hit “equilibrium.”
- China makes up 21% of total global internet users vs. 8% in the United States.
Mary Meeker is an American venture capitalist and former Wall Street securities analyst. Her primary work is on the Internet and new technologies. She was a partner at the venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers for eight years, after which she started her own firm –Bond Capital.
Bond Capital has raised $1.25 Billion, according to a regulatory filing. Meeker’s Kleiner team invested in tech companies like Facebook, Spotify, Square, Twitter, and Snap, Slack and Uber. At Bond, she is invested in some of the same companies. She also joined the board of Fintech start-up Plaid in December.
You can read the entire report here.