The slow down of batteries in aging phones is not really a new issue. At the present time, lithium-ion batteries are the best option for mobile phones, but these typically do not last very long. The more power cycles they go through, the worse their capacity gets.
As it turns out, Apple can actually cripple older phones in the name of “overall performance and prolonging the life of…devices.” Apple got caught when some older iPhones improved after new batteries were installed and people went public with it on Reddit. Weeks later, the company was sued and the battery replacement is its public relations response to the lawsuit.
The company now offers a $29 battery replacement for the iPhone SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, and 7 Plus. Older models of the iPhone must be covered by AppleCare or the battery replacement for those would cost $79.
Therefore, the most logical question is how do you know if you need a replacement battery?
Well, many might say the easiest thing to do is to download an app such as Battery Life or a similar app to obtain frequent reports on the quality of your battery. However, we have a far easier and more authentic solution for you:
- Simply install the official Apple Support app and sign into your Apple ID.
- Start a chat session with Apple Support, selecting the phone you want to have tested as the device in question.
- Once you’re connected with a technician, inform him or her that you want to know the status of your battery’s health.
- You will then be walked through the entire process which requires going into Settings > Privacy > Analytics.
- A few seconds later, a report is sent to the representative. Get your insights and next steps from the representative.
The reason we believe this is both the simplest and easiest option is because you are immediately connected to someone in Apple support, and not just someone at a repair shop or phone company. All you have to do is follow the steps given by the representative to check on your battery’s health. Since the verification process comes from Apple itself, you can be sure of their authenticity and suggestions for battery improvement.