The dos and don’ts of digital marketing in 2018.
Not all digital marketing tactics are created equal – see which marketing strategies won’t work in 2018.
When it comes to digital marketing, a mix of strategies and a balanced approach is best for most businesses. Every new year, those knowledgeable in the industry come out with their predications and ideas for which technology and trends will make an impact in marketing. Consequently, this means that other strategies a business is using might become less effective. Find out what’s on our list of marketing strategies that won’t work in 2018.
Digital Marketing Trends to Avoid
- Desktop design only: If you’re creating digital advertising and marketing materials, it’s essential that design for mobile devices like tablets and cell phones is included. This can have an impact on your customer experience and even the readability of your materials. The best digital marketing campaigns have a consistent look and feel, no matter where customers see them.
- Neglecting what works: Hopping on every new set of digital advertising trends might not be the best way to find more leads, sell more product, or even increase brand awareness. It’s okay to continue a conservative strategy if it’s meeting your marketing goals and growing your business. Don’t feel pressured to divert all resources to the latest marketing trends and abandon your tried and true methods.
- Being too transactional: Content marketing trends continue to show us that customers want relevant and personalized content. If your marketing only ever focuses on your product and doesn’t do anything to build or nurture relationships, it won’t be as effective as it could be. Giving customers an understanding of your product is important, but it’s also important to position yourself as a resource for them, too. When focusing on creating a marketing plan and thinking about digital marketing trends, make sure you’re developing ideas and content that are relational as well as transactional.
Setting Your Marketing Strategy Up for Success in 2018
Here are some online marketing strategies to keep working on in the new year.
- Keep building your blog: Blogs might not do a lot in the way of conversions, but they’re an essential B2B lead generation tool. Having a consistent blog presence still helps in organic search efforts and in brand awareness. It also serves as a key tool to help create better customer experiences, as customers often see blog content as a helpful resource, tool, or solution.
- Keep up with your SEO: SEO is not a one-and-done marketing tool. Companies should make sure to audit their websites and digital content frequently, as search algorithms change frequently throughout the year. Make updates and edits as needed to make sure your content is fresh and ranking in searches.
- Continue to refine and personalize: You might think your product or service appeals to everyone, but it’s likely that there is a target audience where your messaging resonates more effectively. Instead of mass emailing everyone in your contact database or buying digital banner space on every site you can afford, focus on refining your lists and methods. Email marketing programs, marketing automation software, and built-in social media tools make it easy to make sure your messaging is only being shared with the target audience who you decide will most benefit from it.
Make sure your brand doesn’t make any crucial marketing mistakes by avoiding the marketing strategies that won’t work in 2018. Instead, focus your attention on what will help customers connect with both you and your product. This almost always leads to more sales.