The largest content event in the world, the Content Marketing World Conference and Expo (#CMWorld 2017), is currently underway at the Huntington Convention Center in Cleveland, Ohio.
Travis Wright, a chief marketing technologist and author, led one of the over 120 sessions at the event. His session titled, “Taking ABM to the Next Level with Content & Account Based Advertising,” centered on showing attendees how to focus content on the right people at the right stage of the buyer’s journey and then effectively target those people with content advertising to move them down the funnel. The session focused on six main segments: Strategy; Social Business; Marketing; Content; Advertising; Sales.
Attendees were given several beneficial resources to use in their content marketing and advertising efforts, including:
- Bloomberry | www.Bloomberry.com – Allows you to find the most popular questions asked by your target buyer which then enables you to identify consumer needs and concerns throughout the buyer’s journey.
- BuzzSumo | @BuzzSumo | www.BuzzSumo.com – Allows you to discover what resonates with your audience to research, amplify, and monitor your content.
- DeepSee | @DeepSeeio | www.deepsee.io – Allows you to analyze, discover, verify, clarify, and monetize what’s fake news and what’s not using “blockchain, AI, and radical transparency.”
They were also encouraged to, “Build content that has an impact in the industry that you are trying to influence.”
According to Wright, companies should engage in account based marketing (ABM) because it: focuses on best opportunities, supports sales reality, delivers customer centric experience, and connects marketing to revenue. There are three tiers of account based marketing:
1:1 – Strategic ABM
1:Few – Segment ABM
1:Many – ABM at Scale
Each tier provides different value to companies and companies must select approaches to match their revenue goals, business objectives, strategic initiatives, business model, and budget optimization.
When it comes to advertising on social media, Wright pointed out that:
- B2B companies do amazing using Facebook ads, especially for ABM.
- Advertising on Twitter is not as effective, because it is not as granular as Facebook or Instagram.
- Linkedin advertising is great for big ticket items; and making use of LinkedIn groups for marketing purposes is also beneficial.
Along with being a chief marketing technologist and author, Wright is also a data and analytics geek, tech journalist, startup growth hacker, venture catalyst, keynote speaker, CMTO, stand-up comic, and former digital marketing strategist at Symantec. He has optimized and strategized marketing for hundreds of B2B & B2C business websites of all sizes. He now serves as the CMO/CTO of CCP.Digital and travels throughout the U.S. helping company marketing executives successfully plan, optimize, and execute their integrated digital media strategies.
Connect with Travis Wright on Twitter and LinkedIn (@teedubya). To access the presentation deck from his CMWorld 2017 session, along with other great content, please click here.